Subject: Re: Mac serial to DB25 cable
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Kevin Ogden <kev@zebradale.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/1998 22:12:08
>> I've just acquired a trunkful of junked computer equipment, among which is
>> a Liberty Electronics "Freedom 100" dumb terminal that appears to work
>> (also included is a delightful Apple "Duodisk" double 5 1/4 disk drive!).
>> For lack of anything else to do, I was thinking of trying out this thing
>> (the terminal, not the drive) as a serial console.  The thing is the
>> cabling.  I see in an old Jameco catalog that there is a DB25M to mini
>> DIN8M cable, described there as "for Hayes modem".  Would this item work
>> for this use?  Or would I have to fabricate something myself?  Or is there
>> another source I can look to for an appropriate cable?
>
>Sounds like it'll be fine for running a console.

I have my DEC VT220 running just as a terminal, console is still console.
I like having a terminal when the console is busy....

>The one thing it might not do would be to handle handshaking right. But if
>the terminal's fast enough to keep up w/ the baud rate, you'll be fine.
>Another option is to just go to a computer store and pick up a modem cable
>there.
>
>Oh, since these cables are for modems, and the terminal is designed to
>plug into a modem too, you'll need a null modem cable.

get Bob's PC null modem cable and slap the mac modem cable on one end of
the null modem cable and run the other end to the terminal.  Mac null modem
cables are more expensive, that's why I suggest this method.

>Another option would be to get a PC-LAN cable which works w/ a mac (the
>cable which comes w/ the mac version of the program). It will work great,
>and permit you to hook up to a PC too.

The null-modem trick will work with a PC at the other end for SL/IP, PPP
and dumb terminal access (requires PC terminal emulation software)

		Have fun
			Kevin