Subject: Re: netatalk papd question...
To: Capt. Avram Dorfman <dorfman@pentagon.mil>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/1998 17:29:40
On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, Capt. Avram Dorfman wrote:

> Well, part of the problem is that I'm *not* using the 'charcoal' font.
> Does pap do anything meaningfully different than just send a file to a
> printer?

pap sends files to an Appletalk printer. papd pretends to be an Appletalk
printer.

> On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, Colin Wood wrote:
>
> > Capt. Avram Dorfman wrote:
> > >
> > [ print jobs dying.... ]
> >
> > > When it dies, I get an entry in my lpd spooler logfile w/ a ghostscript
> > > error in it. It's pretty big, but the gist of it is
> > >
> > >    Error: /invalidfont in -dict-
> > >    Operand stack:
> > >       Charcoal   --dict:12/25--   Font   Charcoal   --dict:12/25--   Charcoal
> > >
> > > The rest of it is a gs stack trace. What I don't get is that if I print
> > > to a postscript file on the mac, and then do an "lpr <file>" on netbsd,
> > > it works fine.
> > >
> > > What am I missing?

I'd say your .ppd is messed up. The .ppd file is used to tell the mac what
are the capabilities of the printer. In your case, they are the
capabilities of ghostscript. You might try the .ppd file for a
low-capability printer and see what happens.

Take care,

Bill