Subject: Re: Colour X-windows on SE/30
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/1998 17:55:09
On Tue, Jan 20, 1998 at 10:40:18AM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> No, the ttyflags command also uses /etc/ttys to set certain default flags.
> None of the slip or ppp programs look at it, though.

Huh... Okay. Thanks.

On another note: For what it's worth, X seems doable over a 38400 baud SLIP
connection. It's not wildly fast, but it seemed to run reasonable well with
a couple of xterms, xbiff, xload, and xeyes all running. (The server in this
case was my Q610 running MI/X.) Responsiveness and scrolling in the xterms
was fast enough for me to call it quite usable. I've since switched back to
using a regular telnet application, since I don't have enough RAM in my
SE/30 to run lots of X stuff that, in effect, duplicates what I have already
with BetterTelnet. (Although, I did enjoy running xload, even though I
couldn't figure out how to have it print a load number in the corner of the
window, as I remember doing back when I used Ultrix on some DECstations.)

Later...

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments