Subject: Re: Mac serial to DB25 cable
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nikolai Vladychevski <niko@netspace.com.mx>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/1998 18:03:50

>I've just acquired a trunkful of junked computer equipment, among which is
>a Liberty Electronics "Freedom 100" dumb terminal that appears to work
>(also included is a delightful Apple "Duodisk" double 5 1/4 disk drive!).
>For lack of anything else to do, I was thinking of trying out this thing
>(the terminal, not the drive) as a serial console.  The thing is the
>cabling.  I see in an old Jameco catalog that there is a DB25M to mini
>DIN8M cable, described there as "for Hayes modem".  Would this item work
>for this use?  Or would I have to fabricate something myself?  Or is there
Yeah, looks like it could work.
>another source I can look to for an appropriate cable?

I had to do it myself, because I had no 30$ for that cable, and besides
to ship it here, where I live would cost me a lot. I wasnt using the
cable as a console, but as a serial connection from Mac  to my Linux box.
 My recommendation is to check it before buy, because Mac serial
interface is RS-422 and PC's is RS-232, due to the diference every cable
type has its own diferent mapping. I got one cable that didnt work using
Mac as a console to Linux box,  for example.

If you want to make it yourself use this info:

http://www.mindspring.com/~jc1/serial/Resources/DIN8toDB25.html

It's very complete, but if you dont want the details, just connect this
pins:
DIN 8     DB 25
(3)TxD-   ->   (3)RxD
(5) RxD-  ->   (2)TxD
(4)COM    ->   (7) COM
if you want to use handshaking, you should read the complete info because
some guys map HSKo to DTR , others to RTS, its a real mess.

Best wishes,
Nikolai

Nikolai Vladychevskii, niko@netspace.com.mx
Another mad Java Developer
Dom Software. +52 (72) 13-2642 Toluca, Mex.

"Only Ice Cream Has 31 Flavors"