Subject: Re: X Fonts
To: Chris <smirks@mail.eclipse.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/1998 15:39:42
Chris wrote:

> Earlier I was installing some fonts for X, and none of them seem to
> work.  I went into /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/ and looked and noticed all the
> fonts were like font.pcf.Z , and since my font was just font.pcf I was
> wondering if there is anything else I have to do.

You were installing fonts separately from those installed by the xfont.tgz
set?  If so, all you need to do is add the description of the font to the
file fonts.dir in the directory you're adding the font to.  I think that
the number at the top of the file is the number of fonts you have
installed in that directory, so be sure to update it accordingly.  I
believe that the server can handle uncompressed fonts just fine.  Of
course, you can always do a 'compress fontname.pcf' to make it a .Z file
as well.  BTW, if you're using the 1.2 X distribution, you should probably
upgrade to the 1.3 X distribution (assuming you've upgraded the rest of
the system, that is).

I hope this helps.

Later.