Subject: Re: installing problems
To: Brian Carroll <carroll@ultdev.chess.cornell.edu>
From: Kevin Havener <havenerk@Walden.MO.NET>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/1998 17:28:13
I just went through this mess myself.  Only the hard drive is the same.
I used Silverlining to make the (Mac) partitions which I converted using
mkfs.  Another one or two on the OpendBSD had the same problem.  It's
gotta be the drive.  The way the two of us worked around it was to
install on the first part of the disk.  If I recall correctly, he used a
80 meg root and a signicantly larger, but not too large usr.   I ended up
using a 500 meg root+usr.

None of us could say what's causing the error.   I suspect that it won't
install if the partition crosses the 1023 cylinder limit.  Others report
a mismatch between the drive geometry (C/H/S) reported by mkfs and ffs.
One who got it to work got a minimal system going on a small root at the
front of the disk.  Then used *BSD to install the rest--thus he was able
to report the geometry mismatch.  The rest of us, like you, couldn't get
that far.

BTW, I ended up installing NetBSD vice OpenBSD because that's what the
installer was pointed at when I finally met success :-).  (My original
assumption was a corrupt file, so I tried both.)

I'll forward any traffic I kept from that experience to this list when I
get home for everyone's viewing pleasure.

				Kevin