Subject: Re: Mac serial to DB25 cable
To: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jaohlma@bgnet.bgsu.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/1998 14:42:15
On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Jeffrey Ohlmann wrote:

> I've just acquired a trunkful of junked computer equipment, among which is
> a Liberty Electronics "Freedom 100" dumb terminal that appears to work
> (also included is a delightful Apple "Duodisk" double 5 1/4 disk drive!).
> For lack of anything else to do, I was thinking of trying out this thing
> (the terminal, not the drive) as a serial console.  The thing is the
> cabling.  I see in an old Jameco catalog that there is a DB25M to mini
> DIN8M cable, described there as "for Hayes modem".  Would this item work
> for this use?  Or would I have to fabricate something myself?  Or is there
> another source I can look to for an appropriate cable?

Sounds like it'll be fine for running a console.

The one thing it might not do would be to handle handshaking right. But if
the terminal's fast enough to keep up w/ the baud rate, you'll be fine.

Another option is to just go to a computer store and pick up a modem cable
there.

Oh, since these cables are for modems, and the terminal is designed to
plug into a modem too, you'll need a null modem cable.

Another option would be to get a PC-LAN cable which works w/ a mac (the
cable which comes w/ the mac version of the program). It will work great,
and permit you to hook up to a PC too.

Take care,

Bill