Subject: Re: Again...Problems
To: Chris <smirks@mail.eclipse.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/1998 11:46:37
Chris wrote:

> I sent this a few days ago and I recieved no reply. Is this problem
> fixable, or should I just not use netbsd on the machine?
>
> Hey,
> Today I installed NetBSD 1.3 on my Quadra 605 and I get the following
> errors while booting.
>
> --snip--
> Automatic boot in progress: checking file system checks.
> sd0(esp0:2:0):medium error, infs = 1904366 (decimal), data= 00 00 00 00
>                                                        11 00 ea 80 00 11
> CANNOT READ: BLK 1596922
> /dev/rsd0a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY: RUN fsxk_ffs MANUALLY.
> Automatic file system check failed; help!
> --snip--
>
> Then it boots into single user mode.  I've already edited the rc.conf and
> all that.

Well, my guess would be that you're having 1 of 2 problems.  Either the
68LC040 chip combined with not quite correct FPE is causing weird FP
errors that are confusing fsck, or else you have a _real_ hard disk error.
On a fully working system, the above error message would indicate that
there is an actual defect on the drive.  If it's not too much trouble, I'd
consider reformatting the drive and reinstalling.  This might map out a
bad block and avoid this problem.  Of course, if the problem is the
former, you'll have to wait until FP is fixed, or upgrade to a full '040.

Later.