Subject: Re: Son of "compiling perl"
To: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <tschulze@compuserve.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/1998 14:36:13
On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, T. Sean (Theo) Schulze wrote:

: >Perhaps that's because NetBSD doesn't have an odbm.  :>  Of the DBM
: >packages, only ndbm, db, and sdbm should compile--gdbm if you have that
: >installd.  (Incidentally, if you have gdbm installed, it may be trying to
: >build odbm bcause gdbmhas a backend for it that's not quite so reliable.)
:
: I do have gdbm installed.  A (good) while back I compiled and installed
: perl (I don't recall the version), and the example scripts in the Llama
: book weren't working because my machine couldn't support the database
: stuff called for in the scripts.  So, I installed gdbm from the Red
: Book's CD-ROM.  It occurs to me now that I should find out if there is a
: newer version of gdbm.  Or, should I remove gdbm, re-make perl and redo
: the tests?

All you *need* to do is hide the "dbm.h" header file temporarily and
re-configure/build Perl.  odbm won't be included since it can't find dbm.h,
and all will be happy.  It's also a good idea to hide gdbm's "ndbm.h" header
file, too, since there's an ndbm front end to Berkeley DB in libc.

=====
===== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com) =====
== "There's a myth that there is a scarcity of justice to go around, so
== that if we extend justice to 'those people,' it will somehow erode the
== quality of justice everyone else receives."  -- Maria Price