Subject: installing problems
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Carroll <carroll@ultdev.chess.cornell.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/20/1998 13:12:32
I'm trying to install 1.3 on a 1gig Quantum Fireball external and I get
these errors while installing the base set:

Error on SCSIRead(), #5
Error on SCSIWrite(), #5
Error on SCSIRead(), #5
Error on SCSIRead(), #5
Error on SCSIWrite(), #5
Error on SCSIRead(), #5
pos = 0, i = 27, fs =/usr
alloccgblk: can't find blk in cyl

The last thing that gets installed before this is
"./usr/share/man/cat4/alpha".  I'm installing onto a 150meg Root partition
and 897meg User partition.  In the FAQ it says to ignore type 5 errors,
but the installer stops at this point, so I can't really ignore it.  I'm
using Mkfs 1.45 and Installer 1.1g.

Could it be that I'm not mounting the user partition correctly.  After I
make file systems on both Root and User partitions I start installer which
mounts sd1a as "/". I select make devices from the File menu and when it
finishes I enter the minishell.  I type "mkdir /usr" and then "mount
/dev/sd1g /usr" , "fstab force" then "quit". I then choose install from
the file menu and begin installing the different sets.  I installed kernel
and etc without problems but the error pops up while installing the base
set.

I used Apple HD SC setup to partition the drive into three A/UX Free
partitions and used Mkfs to change them into NetBSD Swap, NetBSD Root and
NetBSD User partitions.  Any insight as to what I'm doing wrong would be
greatly appreciated.

---
Brian Carroll
bwc8@cornell.edu