Subject: Re: Rebuild an X11 server
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/19/1998 21:11:28
> > Another thing : I saw that id software released the sources of
> > linux-doom-1.10. I'm trying to get it working under NetBSD, without
> > X11... But I got problem b/c I can't change CLUT.... Any Idea ??
>
> I've got the sources, but I haven't tried to compile it yet.  Assuming
> this is still mac68k, I have no idea how to change the CLUT (although
> there might be an ioctl() for it, but I can't remember without the source
> in front of me). It'd only work if you had NuBus video (i.e. if you can
> run color X, then you can do it).  You might ask Michael Zucca or Paul
> Goyette.  They would know more.

There is an IOCTL to do this but you need the right header file to use it.
If you're using a color kernel you should get the right grf.h so you can
compile programs like color X or whatever else you feel like cooking up.

The IOCTL API we're using now follows the Apple video card driver spec
as show in Cards 'n Drivers 3rd Edition.

I'd imagine you'll have a hard time porting linux doom. I think it used
SVGA lib. Even if it doesn't and uses X instead you'll prob. get disappointing
frame rates because we have no accelerated X servers either :(