Subject: Re: port-mac68k-digest V1 #309
To: Amitai Schlair <amitai.schlair@usa.net>
From: Xiamin Raahauge <xiamin@scdesantis.ne.mediaone.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/19/1998 12:43:35
On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Amitai Schlair wrote:
> > My final task in making the machine totally headless is to redirect
> > console output to an arbitrary pty (preferably on the fly). I saw
> > something about this in the tty(4) man page, but not being a programmer
> > (yet) it didn't make much sense to me. I did leave options UCONSOLE
> > defined in my kernel config file; I just need to know how to take
> > advantage of it. Can this be done on the command line, or from a shell
> > script?
>
> A C program would be fine too, if someone could show me what to write.
> (I don't know C yet. :)

If you're using X on another machine, you can run xconsole to redirect it
to a window. Another option is modify /etc/syslog.conf so it doesn't write
anything to the console, but to whereever you want it. You could write
everything to /var/log/console.messages and then tail -f it. I don't know
if that would catch everything, but it should get most of it.
-Xiamin