Subject: Re: tar files and such things...
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/19/1998 09:20:22
SamMaEl wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Greg Evans wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Was just wondering if it would be possible (see feasable) to amke a
> > utility like say an..for lack of a better word..."uninstaller" heh.
> >
> > What I mean is that until I get more room on my NetBSD HD, I would like
> > to be able to use the installer to say maybe use a command to tgz the
> > entire install out to my Mac HD.  I dunno, I don't know how to explain
> > what I am meaning....I guess the best explanation would be something
> > similar to cpin and cpout, maybe caller tgz_in and tgz_out or something
> > so I could basically do the install in reverse...I am tired forgive my
> > rambling..

Just wondering....why exactly do you want to keep anything you're
removing?  Why not just do a recursive delete?

> 	I think what he is asking is, is there or could there be a way to
> uninstall the system tarballs (base.tgz, comp.tgz etc.) That is, without
> having to go through and delete every file one at a time ;-) And, I think
> this could be a handy thing... but of course it would need to know what
> files are installed and where. I know that I accidentally installed X on a
> machine that I was going to run headless, and had to go in and delete the
> /usr/X11R6 files, but I didn't know if there were any OTHER files outside
> of that hierarchy, and didn't want to take the time to list every single
> file in the x tarballs...

Anyway, there should be a list of all the files installed by each tarball.
I know it's in src/distrib/sets/, but I'm not sure where you can find that
on the ftp server (they are the same files used to generate the tarballs
in the first place).  You could simply cat one of those files to "xargs
rm" and it would take care of things for you.

I hope this helps.

Later.