Subject: Re: Son of "compiling perl"
To: T. Sean <tschulze@compuserve.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/19/1998 09:13:57
T. Sean wrote:

> Would the packages system help me to get Perl to run its tests
> successfully?

Possibly.

> I would still be compiling on my machine, right?

Yes.

> What is
> different, other than the method used to get the source into my machine
> for compiling?  I guess I am not following you.

The difference is that packages provided by NetBSD's package system are
supposed to be preconfigured and patched in such a way as to provide
completely compatible NetBSD distributions.  In other words, it should
just work for you if you use the package.  Of course, this is the way it's
_supposed_ to work, whether this is actually observed behavior or not is
another story entirely ;-)

Later.