Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.3 & 68LC040
To: Tsukasa Koizumi <pigtail@tpro.com>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/19/1998 08:02:32
On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Tsukasa Koizumi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> At 00:44 98/01/08 -0500, John Burg wrote:
> > I am using NetBSD 1.3 on another 68LC040 machine-- a Performa 630 (36 MB
> > RAM). I'm running it off of a Zip drive (no swap). My machine has not been
> > upgraded-- it is using only the software FPE. Despite its status as an
> > unsupported machine, I have found it rather usable. Sure, I get
> > segmentation faults and illegal instruction errors fairly frequently. But
> > this has not made the machine unusable; they are only an annoyance. I am
> > able to run X-Windows, various games, PPP, Lynx, etc. (I don't have enough
> > disk space to try the compiler package.)
>
> I'm trying to run NetBSD 1.3 on LC630. It boots without any errors.
>
> But, ethernet interface is not work. I would get "Tx - lost interrapt" error.
> The configuration is not wrong becouse it works on SE/30 with same ifconfig
> setting.
>
> The ethernet card is Apple Ethernet Card for Communication Slot.
>
> How about it, there ? NetBSD 1.3 is not support Communication Slot of
> Q630/LC630 ?

	Unfortunately, not yet. I was/am working with Allen Briggs and
Michael Zucca to get my Q630's CS Twisted Pair card to work. Allen got the
ethernet "working", but there is a problem with the Valkyrie internal
video, which MZ possibly has a fix for (he sent me a MacOS program to find
some information on the location of the controller, etc and I sent him
some memory dumps... hopefully it's what he needs ;-))

	According to Mr. Briggs, once the problem with the interrupts gets
fixed, it shouldn't be too tough to get the CS Ethernet working. He built
me a kernel which was able to initialize the card at bootup and would take
an ifconfig without crashing... but I got the same Tx - lost interrupt
error when I tried to ping the other machines on my LAN.

	So, hang in there... should be a fix soon *crosses fingers*
*knocks on wood*

	Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!