Subject: Re: Extended Keyboard
To: Kevin Havener <havenerk@Walden.MO.NET>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/18/1998 22:20:53
Kevin Havener wrote:

> Yeah, I'm using vt220 on the console.  Haven't mucked with X yet except
> to verify that it worked.  Yay!
>
> I have the FAQ in front of my now, but I'm not finding what I need.
> There's a question about X and an answer about .xmodmap (I think it was)
> but haven't found anything about console or dt yet.  Actually I don't
> have dt installed yet.  Maybe it says something about the problem in the
> dt docs.

Don't worry, that's not in the FAQ.  I'll try to add something about it
over the next week or so once I've figured out what's going on (I'm
working on the FAQ now).

>                                     Kevin
>
> PS  Along these same lines, does the fact that I'm using some 3rd party
> extended keyboard matter?

It's conceivable, but not too likely.  Most 3rd-party keyboards use the
standard Apple driver, so there shouldn't be a difference.  You can go
into X, tho, and if you've installed the xcontrib stuff, run xev and make
sure that you get keycodes 67, 68, 69, and 70 for the arrow keys.  If not,
then it's different.

I think the problem is basically that the kernel was setup for a standard
Apple keyboard, whereas the Extended keyboard may use slightly different
keycodes for the arrow keys.

Later.