Subject: Re: Extended Keyboard
To: Kevin Havener <havenerk@Walden.MO.NET>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/18/1998 22:13:35
Kevin Havener wrote:

> What do I have to do to make my Q650 running NetBSD 1.3 recognize/utilize
> an extended keyboard.  Actually, I think the bootup messages indicate
> that an extended keyboard is recognized.  OK, the numerical keypad works,
> too.  The most important thing to me is the arrow keys.  Using hjkl in vi
> is killing me.  My fingers automatically go to the arrow keys.  On my
> linux box, the arrow keys work as you would expect.  Is this because on
> my linux system vi==vim or is it because my linux system uses ncurses or
> is it some other keyboard mapping doodad?  I am aware that the arrows map
> to the 2nd and 3rd buttons on a 3-button mouse, but isn't that in
> conjunction with an alt/command/ctrl key?  Any suggestions welcome.

Is this on the console?  I'm using one on my Q700 under X and the arrow
keys work just fine.  However, the console just might be a different
story.  From time to time, I've noticed that they cause problems.  I'm not
sure of a solution outside of the kernel, but I'd recommend just using X
unless you have a strong reason not to do so.  Alternatively, I think that
the 'dt' utility should handle an extended keyboard just fine as well.  If
I get a chance, I'm going to come up with a slightly more permanent
solution for this one.

Later.