Subject: Re: Son of "compiling perl"
To: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <tschulze@compuserve.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.ORG>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/18/1998 13:16:11
On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, T. Sean (Theo) Schulze wrote:

> >	Are you using the packages system to compile perl?
> >

> No, I haven't looked into the packages thing yet.  Would this help?

	Well, its the best supported way of building programs under NetBSD -
	each package contains the necessary information and patches to build
	the appropriate program.

        Download the pkgsrc tarfile (currently around 700K)

      ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/pkgsrc.tar.gz

        and extract in '/usr'. This will create a '/usr/pkgsrc' hierarchy of
        package subdirectories. If you have a direct internet connection you
        can then cd into the appropriate subdirectory and just type 'make',
        then 'make install'. If you do not have a direct internet connection
        you need to obtain the source for the package (check the appropriate
        makefile for the location) and put it into /usr/pkgsrc/distfiles.

		David/absolute

          .:. "I'm not an angel... I'm not that quaint..." .:.