Subject: Re: post-upgrade booting questions
To: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <tschulze@compuserve.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/18/1998 04:14:12

 =

>> get (and I still get):
>> =

>> savecore: /netbsd: kvm_dump_mkheader: Read: Invalid argument
>> Jan 17 18:45:56 hussar savecore: /netbsd: kvm_dump_mkheader: Read: =

>> Invalid argument
>> =

>> What does this mean and how can I make it go away?
>
>I alos get this on my Centris 650 but *not* on my IIcx. As Colin points
>out, the savecore program is having a problem reading your kernel. BTW, =
my
>kernel is named 'netbsd'. Even though the error message is annoying, it
>does not seem to cause any problems. If you want to stop the error
>message, then you can edit the /etc/rc.conf file and change
>
>  savecore=3DYES

>  savecore=3DNO
> =

Hehe, yeah this would work, but I am sure it is not the schoolbook =

solution.  You are right, it hasn't caused me any problems, but then I =

haven't had any cores for it to deal with either.  I don't know how it =

would react if I did.  I think I will leave it in and just ignore it.

 =

>> longer telnet in as root (or myself, because I lost my account).
>
>I noticed this too. What you need to do is log into as root on the
>console. Run 'vipw' and make some insignificant change. Then when you
>exit, it will re-build the passwd database file. An insignificant change=

>could be to chnage something in the  name field.  For example:
>
>  coyote:*:101:100:Wile Coyote:/usr/home/coyote:/usr/local/bin/tcsh
>
>becomes
>
>  coyote:*:101:100:Wile E. Coyote:/usr/home/coyote:/usr/local/bin/tcsh

I thought that somehow I had missed something and had forgotten to =

transfer the passwd or master.passwd files.  This morning I did a vipw, =

and was surprised to find the passwords all there in their encrypted =

glory.  Thanks for the tip on making a small change to rebuild the =

database.  (Shouldn't it be Wile E. Coyote anyway? :-)

Did you have a problem with your aliases.db also?  When I came down this =

morning, I had a few notices across the screen about dead letters.  I am =

assuming that I need to do "newalias" again.

Cheers,

Sean.

                 T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
71410.25@compuserve.com            TSSchulze@aol.com
How large does the Internet need to get before the
planet becomes self-aware?