Subject: Re: Wondering
To: Chris <smirks@mail.eclipse.net>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/18/1998 00:20:21
On Sat, Jan 17, 1998 at 09:12:13PM -0500, Chris wrote:

> I know you can do it the other way around, but for my puposes its more
> usefull to have it this way.

You're probably going to have a much easier time doing it the other way
'round - that is, using your NetBSD machine as a gateway (via IP-NAT)
to the Internet. It's a big step, taking your modem off of your Mac and
putting it on your Unix box, but it's VERY worthwhile. The only reason
I can conceive of for wanting to use the Mac as the gatway is that you
regularly use something that won't work properly through IP-NAT. (I
think CU-SeeMe falls into this category, although it might be possible
to get it to work properly. I don't know.) NetBSD makes for a far more
capable gateway machine than MacOS.

If you insist, though, then you can probably use something like... um...
What's it called... Viacom Gateway? Something like that. I don't remember
the name. It's a commercial product, but it advertises itself as doing
what you want. I'd imagine you'd have no problem using it over a serial
line, with SLIP or PPP. I think an AltaVista search as follows will
likely pick it up:

+macos +gateway +localtalk +tcp

That's what I remember using as a search string, when I noted the program.
Time has rendered my memory somewhat less than flawless, however.

Good luck!

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments