Subject: Re: post-upgrade booting questions
To: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <tschulze@compuserve.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/18/1998 08:22:24
Hi Sean,

On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, T. Sean (Theo) Schulze wrote:

> Also, even before I upgraded, back when I was using 1.3_alpha, I would
> get (and I still get):
>
> savecore: /netbsd: kvm_dump_mkheader: Read: Invalid argument
> Jan 17 18:45:56 hussar savecore: /netbsd: kvm_dump_mkheader: Read:
> Invalid argument
>
> What does this mean and how can I make it go away?

I alos get this on my Centris 650 but *not* on my IIcx. As Colin points
out, the savecore program is having a problem reading your kernel. BTW, my
kernel is named 'netbsd'. Even though the error message is annoying, it
does not seem to cause any problems. If you want to stop the error
message, then you can edit the /etc/rc.conf file and change

  savecore=YES

  savecore=NO

> As it turns out, my /etc-settings-angst was justified.  Somehow or
> another I managed to disappear my account on the machine, and I can no
> longer telnet in as root (or myself, because I lost my account).

I noticed this too. What you need to do is log into as root on the
console. Run 'vipw' and make some insignificant change. Then when you
exit, it will re-build the passwd database file. An insignificant change
could be to chnage something in the  name field.  For example:

  coyote:*:101:100:Wile Coyote:/usr/home/coyote:/usr/local/bin/tcsh

becomes

  coyote:*:101:100:Wile E. Coyote:/usr/home/coyote:/usr/local/bin/tcsh

   Mark Andres               E-mail: mark@giganet.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
   Me & NetBSD: http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/