Subject: Is there an RPM decoder ring?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Larry E Kollar <kollar@stc.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/17/1998 23:18:06
I have Redhat's "Powertools" Linux set (the six-disk set that includes
a snapshot of sunsite and ftp.x.org) for my 386 resurrection project.
The 386 is still moribund due to lack of parts, but NetBSD is working...
looks like a good way to verify that the OS talks to the CD-ROM.

And... of course, this is Redhat's distribution, so all the source code
is stuck inside RPMs!  (RPM=Redhat Package Manager, a package distribution
method that has caught on big-time in Linux-land)  While NetBSD has its
own way of managing software packages, I wonder if there's such a thing
as an RPM-to-tarball utility.  I'd hate to have to FTP source code that's
already on a disk right in front of me.

(Now that I have this thing running, I know how my son felt the first
time he went into Discovery Zone... he tried to go five different
directions all at once & ended up flat on his face. :-)

--
Larry Kollar    | Dawson County GA, Tandy 600, WordBasic pages at:
kollar@stc.net  | http://www.nyx.net/~lekollar/