Subject: netatalk papd question...
From: Capt. Avram Dorfman <dorfman@pentagon.mil>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/17/1998 23:07:29
Hello,

I finally got my LaserJet 6Lse working via ghostscript & a PowerPrint
serial/parallel converter (thanks to all who helped).

Now I'd like to share it out via netatalk's papd. I'd appreciate any help
anyone can give me. It seems like it should be really simple, since I
have gs working. How do I get papd to just take the file spooled from my
mac & hand it to the gs lpd printer I've set up? Or is there more to it
than that?

What I don't understand is why there needs to be a ".ppd" file on the
netbsd/netatalk side. Hasn't the Mac already dealt with that by the time
it hands the file to papd?

Anyway, this is what I have in my atalk/etc/papd.conf:

paige:\
        :pr=ljet4.1:\
        :pd=/usr/local/atalk/etc/laserwriter_ii_nt.ppd:

(the .ppd file came from adobe - I had to convert it from Unix to Mac cr/lf)

When it dies, I get an entry in my lpd spooler logfile w/ a ghostscript
error in it. It's pretty big, but the gist of it is

   Error: /invalidfont in -dict-
   Operand stack:
      Charcoal   --dict:12/25--   Font   Charcoal   --dict:12/25--   Charcoal

The rest of it is a gs stack trace. What I don't get is that if I print
to a postscript file on the mac, and then do an "lpr <file>" on netbsd,
it works fine.

What am I missing?

-Capt Avram Dorfman
Chief, Network Operations