Subject: Re: post-upgrade booting questions
To: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <tschulze@compuserve.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.ORG>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/17/1998 12:28:48
On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, T. Sean (Theo) Schulze wrote:

> I upgraded to 1.3 today, and I have some questions.  I followed the
> How-to pretty closely, but at one point I didn't notice that I was in
> multi-user mode and not single-user.  At that point I did a "sh MAKEDEV
> all".  Later I rebooted single-user and re-did "sh MAKEDEV all".

	That should not be a problem.

> Anyway, when I boot I get the messages:
>
> swapctl: /dev/sd2b: Device busy
> mount_ffs: /dev/sd2a on /: specified device does not match mounted device
>
> How can I make this go away?

	Can you send the output of 'dmesg' and 'disklabel sd2'?

> Also, even before I upgraded, back when I was using 1.3_alpha, I would
> get (and I still get):
>
> savecore: /netbsd: kvm_dump_mkheader: Read: Invalid argument
> Jan 17 18:45:56 hussar savecore: /netbsd: kvm_dump_mkheader: Read:
> Invalid argument
>
> What does this mean and how can I make it go away?

	It probably means savecore (whcih checks for kernel dumps) is
	having trouble reading the kernel.
	Are you booting the kernel called 'netbsd' in the root filesystem?

> As it turns out, my /etc-settings-angst was justified.  Somehow or
> another I managed to disappear my account on the machine, and I can no
> longer telnet in as root (or myself, because I lost my account).

	When installing the /etc set, its always a good idea to
	'cp -r /etc /etc.safe' so you can reference back.
	(OK, that was 'shut stable door after horse has bolted advice' :)
	Edit /etc/group & remove 'root' from the wheel line, to allow you
	to su from a normal account, then run 'vipw' and copy the root
	line & change the home directory and uid (uid is first :0:,
	homedir is ':/root')

> My system: IIci running GENERICSBC #56 and NetBSD 1.3. Root drive is a
> Quantum Maverick 540MB with 24MB swap partition, a 2MB MacOS partition
> and the rest NetBSD.
>
> TIA,
>
> Sean.
>

>                  T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
> 71410.25@compuserve.com            TSSchulze@aol.com
> "It could probably be shown by facts and figures that
> there is no distinctly native criminal class except
> Congress." -- Mark Twain

		David/absolute

 ( Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock )