Subject: Re: Off topic: Monitor problems
To: Xiamin Raahauge <xiamin@scdesantis.ne.mediaone.net>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@lethargy.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/17/1998 12:05:40
> I'm using an Apple Multiscan 15 on my NetBSD box (Q650) in black and white
> mode. As far as I can remember back the monitor has always been a little
> fritzy, sometimes it looks as if it's switching gamma modes randomly, but
> usually a good smack to the side clears it up. Lately it's started to
> switch to a blue shade of things, while black is still black as far as I
> can see, the "white" is a light greenish blue. Up until today it would
> only stay there for a few seconds before it switched back. Now it doesn't
> seem to want to change. Does anyone out there have any ideas as to what
> could be the trouble? Or does anyone have an idea as to how to fix it?
> TIA
> -Xiamin

I had the exact same problem with my monitor earlier this year, and i
called apple about it. they said it was a documented problem with apple
multiscan 15's, and told me i'd get a free replacement under warranty if i
took it to a computer store authorized by apple. the only problem was that
the monitor was discontinued, so i ended up getting a brand-new newer
version of the multisync monitor that supported 1024x768, 832x624, 800x600
and 640x480 (which is two more sync's than the multiscan-15).
to me, i was a little annoyed by the large speakers on the sides of the
monitor, but you get used to them after awhile, so it's no big problem.
oh yeah, be sure to go to a dealer that doesn't repair mac stuff, but only
replaces it, or you might see the problem again in the future...i went to
compUSA, i dunno if they have them where you live.
good luck,
  - a