Subject: Re: Kernel problem solved, on to the next questions
To: larry kollar <lekollar@nyx.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/16/1998 21:43:52
On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, larry kollar wrote:

> I managed to get a good download of the kern_sbc.tgz file installed,
> so everything's hunky-dory.  I even have PPP set up (but not mail,
> thus a telnet to another system where I can mail out).
>
> On to my next questions:
>
>   - Just where *is* the kernel source these days???  I think "they"
>     moved the location out from under the HOWTO.

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3/source/sets/syssrc.tgz for the
1.3 release, and pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/ in the tar balls stuff.

>   - I got "silo overflow" msgs while FTP'ing, and "last message
>     repeated 3 times" during the FTP and afterwards.  Huh???  I
>     thought silo overflow was an Ethernet thing -- no Ethernet
>     card in this IIsi!  Where are these coming from?  When I
>     install dt, will these not clash with my console?

The silo overflows are coming from the serial port. What speed are you
using? They used to be called fifo overflows, but we sync'd terminology
with the com driver recently.

If you have options INSECURE in the kernel config, dt will be able to
divert these messages to the first screen.

>   - Here's the off-beat one -- what will it take to get LocalTalk
>     working?  I think I'd like to have that even more than color
>     internal video, as I have two printers on the house network.
>     We have netatalk working at the top, and serial working at
>     the bottom; what has to be done to glue them together?

It'll take getting me through grad school. :-) It's the top thing on my
to-do list, and I've gotten pieces started. But I'm not there yet. :-(
I hope to get it going in the next few months.

Take care,

Bill