Subject: Re: SLOTMAN+Radius...
To: Kevin Ogden <kev@zebradale.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/16/1998 18:36:25
The logo being displayed is actually "Good News" since that's part of
the card's Primary Init routine.  SLOTMAN calls this routine for all
cards so that they get set up right.

Now, the Illegal Instruction panic isn't such good news;  in fact, it's
pretty bad.  Unfortunately, there's no way for NetBSD to save the stack
trace info.  You'll have to manually copy down the entire Panic message
(including the register dump), and then type ``t'' at the debugger's
prompt, and copy down all the routine names.  Lucky for you, I don't
(usually) need the argument lists or offsets!  :)

When you get all that, boot back up with your usual kernel (or other OS)
and retype all that information into an E-mail message to me.  Also, it
will be very helpful to have other configuration info about your system
(especially what kind of Mac you've got, and any other nubus cards).

If worse comes to worse, you can always send me the card, I'll get it
working on my Mac IIci and then send it back to you.

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Kevin Ogden wrote:

> Ok, I installed slotman and a Radius PrecisionColor 8/24X card.  It goes
> through the boot most of the way till the nubus stuff pops up, I guess
> SLOTMAN pisses off the card which resets the card (showing the radius logo)
> or maybe it probes the card in a way it doesn't like or something and then
> the kernel panics with illegal instruction trap.  I'm not a good coder and
> know extremely little about mac hardware so I can't solve this problem on
> my own.  How do I save a stack trace so I can post it here?
>
> 		Thanx,
> 			Kevin

| Paul Goyette       | Public Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Consultant |  0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker  |  E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |