Subject: Re: Installing MacBSD on Syquest
To: Rob Cascella <rmc@unforgettable.com>
From: tcjam <tcjam@voicenet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/16/1998 17:06:02
A few things. I have used my SyQuest EZ135 as my root partition under
1.2.1 and 1.3 now and the driver does infact eject the cartridge at
shutdown(possibly reboot too) this is really annoying since when you boot
NetBSD it is effectively a shutdown to the driver. You can use the
SilverLining Lite Control Panel that came with the drive to turn this
"feature" off.

There is definately a strong preference between ncrscsi and sbc with this
drive. I tried using ncr when I first attempted to install NetBSD and
discovered the hard way that this leads to much filesystem corruption.
(I'd just fsck -f -y after a while, 40 pages of errors is a bit much to
sort through) last time I tried the ncrscsi (sometime between 1.3 BETA and
the release) this was still the case. Now that the startup bug with the
sbc kernels has been fixed I've been using GENERICSBC #56 with no problems
for weeks.

Good luck with your installation.

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Rob Cascella wrote:

> Strange.. in the general install notes, it says to check the FAQ for
> information on installing onto a Syquest drive, but I can't seem to find
> any information in the FAQ about installing onto Syquest drives.
>
> I'll be helping a friend setup his Performa 550 this weekend, and I believe
> he wants to put everything onto a Syquest cartridge.  Before I go into
> this, I was wondering if anyone knew of any problems I might encounter.
>
> --
> Rob Cascella                                          rmc@unforgettable.com
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> "Darling, you were wonderful - you really were quite good!"  -Pet Shop Boys

                                 \||||/
                                  o  o
|| "Please explain to me the scientific          |  tcjam@voicenet.com ||
||   nature of the whammy." -Scully              ______________________||
|| "Foolproof systems don't take into account,                         ||
||  the ingenuity of fools" -Unknown 			               ||
||   PGP key can be obtained from:                                     ||
||      http://www.voicenet.com/~tcjam/home/keys.html                  ||