Subject: Re: Installing MacBSD on Syquest
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/16/1998 14:29:19
On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> Rob Cascella wrote:
> >
> > Strange.. in the general install notes, it says to check the FAQ for
> > information on installing onto a Syquest drive, but I can't seem to find
> > any information in the FAQ about installing onto Syquest drives.
> >
> > I'll be helping a friend setup his Performa 550 this weekend, and I believe
> > he wants to put everything onto a Syquest cartridge.  Before I go into
> > this, I was wondering if anyone knew of any problems I might encounter.
>
> Hmmm...I'm pretty sure there was one at some time in the past.  I'll try
> to find it tonight.  You can probably rely on the default settings in Mkfs
> and you'll be just fine as long as you don't have the driver eject the
> disk on boot.

If it uses the same drivers as the EZ135 did (the ones I usually replaced
with HDT immediately after removing them from the package), they don't
eject by themselves, period (i.e. you have to unmount and then hit the
eject button on the drive).  I don't know about more recent models.

Also, I think the ncrscsi driver had problems with the EZ135, again, I'm
not sure about the newer models, or how changes to ncrscsi over the last
few months may have affected them.  If there are a lot of problems, try
sbc (or are the 1.3 generics all sbc normally?)....

David