Subject: Re: Colour X-windows on SE/30
To: Andrew Diller <dillera@dolphin.upenn.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/16/1998 10:06:11
Andrew Diller wrote:

> >So my real question is whether the SE/30 'client' can run a MacX-style
> >server on the PM. Can this be done with a printer cable? Would the
> >bandwidth be sufficient for full X-windows?
> >
> >Thanks for all the suggestions. I've used UNIX quite a lot, but never as
> >an administrator.
>
> I bet that over a serial line it would be too slow. X sessions transfer
> quite a bit of information, and are bandwith intensive.

Nah, it wouldn't be _too_ slow, just not all that speedy.  I run the
occasional X client over a 56K modem link to my machines at home, and as
long as it's just xterms and stuff, it's usually ok.  Graphics intensive
stuff like Netscape are a different story, tho (of course, you can't get
Netscape for NetBSD/mac68k, so that's a bit of a moot point).

> As for doing it, why don't you go get some ethernet (on the PB,
> SCSI-ethernet) and a cheapo hub (or even a 10bT crossover cable to directly
> hook them up) and then be done with it!
>
> I have a Se/30 with 32megs and 1.3alpha here on the schools ethernet, and I
> use Exceed on my Win95 machine to connect-- it works wonderfully.

If you can find an ethernet card for the SE/30, that is.  They're a bit
tough to find these days.

> I don't see any color though.

Really?  Why not?  Does the Win95 box not have a color monitor?  Perhaps
you need to configure your Xresources properly?

Later.