Subject: Re: Colour X-windows on SE/30
To: Simon Wardrop <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andrew Diller <dillera@dolphin.upenn.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/16/1998 12:40:34
>So my real question is whether the SE/30 'client' can run a MacX-style
>server on the PM. Can this be done with a printer cable? Would the
>bandwidth be sufficient for full X-windows?
>
>Thanks for all the suggestions. I've used UNIX quite a lot, but never as
>an administrator.

I bet that over a serial line it would be too slow. X sessions transfer
quite a bit of information, and are bandwith intensive.

As for doing it, why don't you go get some ethernet (on the PB,
SCSI-ethernet) and a cheapo hub (or even a 10bT crossover cable to directly
hook them up) and then be done with it!

I have a Se/30 with 32megs and 1.3alpha here on the schools ethernet, and I
use Exceed on my Win95 machine to connect-- it works wonderfully.

I don't see any color though.

-andy