Subject: Re: Colour Classic boot success, minor scsi & dos
To: Marc Coevoet <marc.coevoet@skynet.be>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/15/1998 15:25:33
Marc Coevoet wrote:

> I received a kernel from jpw@netbsd.com, here is the dmesg.
> The kernel is at ftp.macbsd.com/..../contrib(?utions)/jpw/kernels/testing
> or close to it.  Since Jan, 1st, I run X on this Colour Classic etc.
>

> NetBSD 1.3_BETA (HWDIRECT) #360: Tue Dec 30 18:42:20 PST 1997

Hmmmm...do you know if John has any special hacks in this kernel to get
the Color Classic to run X?  I was under the impression that the grf
device doesn't configure properly on this machine and that it was
serial-console only....

> I get scsi bug reporting like this: (in fact, the bug doesn't harm,
> it seems to be self repairing).  REMARK: it is not connected to the
> fact I use a jaz.

[snip]

> At 24, it seems to repair itself.  But, what's wrong?

Well, I'm not quite familiar enough with SCSI to truly tell you what's
wrong, but you might consider compiling your own kernel with HWDIRECT ADB
support and the sbc SCSI driver instead of the ncrscsi driver; it works
better for some people on some drives.

Later.