Subject: Re: Horror Story, Part I
To: Amitai Schlair <amitai@b60735.STUDENT.CWRU.Edu>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/15/1998 04:52:05
On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Amitai Schlair wrote:

> Over the past week I installed NetBSD 1.3 and compiled a boatload of
> add-on user programs and daemons. Over the past couple days I configured
> most of the daemons, and set up accounts for my friends here at school.
> Everything, as of a couple of hours ago, was hunky-dory.

	Sounds good so far.... ;-)

> Or tried to, at least. After the customary "ding", I got the dreaded
> blinking question mark; for some reason, my internal drive's Mac OS
> partition was not booting. I cooked up a System 7 boot floppy and added HD
> SC Setup, booted from the floppy, and re-reformatted the external drive.
> This time it formatted OK -- no freezing. But the internal drive's Mac OS
> partition was still not showing up, let alone booting. So I grabbed a copy
> of SCSIProbe, which forced the recalcitrant partition to mount... but
> still it wouldn't boot.

[snip]

	This same kinda thing happened to me as well 8-( I'm not sure if
it's the same exact situation, but there is/was a bug in the installer
software which caused it to overwrite, or otherwise damage the driver
(or maybe it was the partition information) for your HFS volumes.

	The way I fixed it was to boot up with my external disk and use a
format/partition utility to re-install the driver. I used the CharisMac
Anubis utility, but I think that the APS PowerTools is basically the same
thing... any utility which can install a SCSI driver whould do the trick.
And, it SHOULDN'T harm any of your data on the drives. I just told it to
re-install the driver, and lo and behold it booted up from the internal
drive again ;-)

> (BTW, I looked around for 'fdisk', since it would have done the trick.
> There's a man page, but no actual 'fdisk' program. Does this mean that not
> enough is known yet to get fdisk working with mac68k?)

	fdisk is a DOS program for the i386... used for installing NetBSD
and Linux, etc.... I don't think it would work very well with mac68k ;-)

	Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!