Subject: Re: Kernels & FP Emulation
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/15/1998 04:58:57
On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Colin Wood wrote:
> I've often wondered where the name came from, but it's just stuff like
> sine, cosine, and tangent (and all the variations that are supported).

Transcendental functions are functions that aren't algebraic :) I guess
maybe they transcend algebraic operations or something...

Algebraic functions are functions that can be made by performing a finite
number of algebraic operations (i.e. +, -, *, /, reciprocal, power, root)
on the argument of the function and rational constants. So like sqrt(x^5 -
1/(sqrt(2/3 + x^9))) is freaky, but still an algebraic function.

Some (maybe all?) transcendental functions can be expressed as an infinite
sum of algebraic functions though. Taylor series and stuff like that...
Like sin x = x/1! - x^3/3! + x^5/5! - x^7/7! + x^9/9! - ... forever

Anyways, I think that's how it works... it's been a long time since I knew
this stuff :)
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++

P.S. math rules ;)