Subject: Can boot from kernel in MacOS but not NetBSD!
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Larry E Kollar <kollar@stc.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/15/1998 00:10:00
Here's a weird one.

I've been having trouble downloading some of the 1.3 tarballs -- they seem
to come in OK (and yes, I double-checked the binary transfer part) but the
Installer complains with "bad CRC" errors.  In MacOS, I can duplicate the
file and unGzip it, and it confirms the problem.  The BIG problem has been
that kern_sbc.tgz has been one of the problem files (the only other one is
comp.tgz).

I finally got an SBC kernel to download without CRC errors, but this time
failed to save a copy.  I used the Installer mini-shell to "cpin" the
kernel file, but then NetBSD hangs after switching over and displaying
six lines (it stops right after displaying video RAM size).

Now here's the weird part -- when I tried booting from the kernel in the
MacOS partition, it came right up.  The root directory was corrupted, and
fsck blasted a bunch of device files, but a "./MAKEDEV all" took care of
that.  Thinking my problems were over, I went back to MacOS and tried
copying the kernel in again.  Same hang, same place.

This happens reliably, whether I boot with extensions on or off.  Virtual
is off (always is), 32-bit memory is on (ditto), and I'm letting the Booter
set video to B&W.  I'm using Booter 1.11.1 and Installer 1.1g.  Maybe I
should turn off the video-switching & try booting again?

Mac IIsi, 17MB RAM, internal video, System 7.5.3, Jaz drive at SCSI ID 5,
CDROM at ID 3.  The same system ran 1.2.1 without a hitch, and the only
thing I changed was the new Booter & the partitioning scheme on the Jaz.

Any ideas?

        Larry Kollar, kollar@stc.net