Subject: Re: Success, was: X11 on Q700 / port-mac68k/4524 (longish)
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/14/1998 22:21:29
> And, lo! and behold!
>
> All of a sudden X11 runs on my Q700 in monochrome 512x348, 640x480, 824x624
> and 1152x870 just fine. The kernel gets the location of the screens exactly
> to the point. Seems not the Q700 violates the QuickDraw specs but we do?

Well, it's a very convoluted situation. Remember, the kernel *always* has
the right value for the beginning of visible video memory, that's how
you're able to see the console.

This value is stored in one of about 5 different variables that have cropped
up in the kernel to store the video base address. The trouble is when the
video gets re-mapped and NuBus slots get probed the copy of the base
address that the grf driver uses either never gets initialized or gets
hosed.

This is one reason why I am *so* glad that we're trashing the current grf/ite
setup and starting over cleanly with fb/wscons in the near future.

> So... The variable settings in the patch are limited to  CLASSQ/CLASSQ2
> machines (what's the difference, btw?). What exactly was the reason for not
> committing the patch? What does it break, if anything? We could have had
> X11 on a Q700 in 1.3...

I think it just never got sent in using send-pr. Kind of like my intvidtest0.x
patches. Everybody acknowleged that they were a good idea but they somehow
never became a part of the official kernel.