Subject: Re: unknown root shell
To: Andrew Diller <dillera@dolphin.upenn.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/14/1998 16:39:53
Andrew Diller wrote:

> I have tcsh on my 1.3alpha machine, and the database system on NetBSD
> dosen't like it.
>
> Exactly what database is this?

>From the error below, /etc/pwd.db (ok, /etc/spwd.db)

> I get these errors when adding new users (and specifiying tcsh):
>
> pwd_mkdb: warning, unknown root shell
>
> Also, these users cannot ftp into their accounts.
>
> How can I let NetBSD know that tcsh is an OK shell to use?

Add it to /etc/shells.  BTW, I wouldn't use tcsh as a root shell unless
you've statically linked it...to many things can go wrong otherwise, and
you'd be left without a working root account.  The best thing to do is to
leave root as /bin/csh, and then use 'su -m' to become root.  This will
allow you to become root while retaining your shell.

I hope this helps.

Later.