Subject: Re: unknown root shell
To: Andrew Diller <dillera@dolphin.upenn.edu>
From: Adrian Rollett <acrollet+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/14/1998 18:26:38
On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Andrew Diller wrote:

> I have tcsh on my 1.3alpha machine, and the database system on NetBSD
> dosen't like it.
>
> Exactly what database is this?
>
> I get these errors when adding new users (and specifiying tcsh):
>
> pwd_mkdb: warning, unknown root shell
>
> Also, these users cannot ftp into their accounts.
>
> How can I let NetBSD know that tcsh is an OK shell to use?

All you need to do is put the complete path to tcsh in /etc/shells, just
look at what's already there and follow that model.
BTW, it has been discussed (a fair while ago) and IIRC it was said that it
is suggested not to change root's shell from the default, but if you want
root to use a different shell, create an account called toor (or
something) and give that whatever shell you like.

hope this helps.

cheers,

-Adrian