Subject: Re: Mac Classic II - Modem Port Not Working under MacBSD 1.3
To: None <datas@ozemail.com.au>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/14/1998 11:03:45
> Thanks Bill, I too have found myself asking clients - is it plugged in at
> the wall? :-)
>
> Seriously though, there is no change in hardware since the fully operational
> 1.2 BSD was replaced.
> The modem port is now acting like /dev/null!
>
> I've checked voltages on the Modem Port and they are "normal" (as normal as
> Macs ever get),
> and the Tx+ Tx- pair are energised when BSD boots as normal.
>
> I know that there is nothing wrong with the Mac hardware. (It functions
> outside of BSD)

We don't know that the hardware's fine. Another user ran into a problem,
which might be the one you're having. It's a hardware problem which only
NetBSD is sensitive to.

Try tying the two inputs (HSKi & GPi / DCD & CTS) to the output (HSKo / DTR).
The problem was that an unconnected input would float, and generate lots
of interrupts. The new driver, unfortunatly, is more sentitive to these
problems. I hope to get it fixed for 1.3.1, if I have time (life is
getting VERY busy).

Take care,

Bill