Subject: Re: Mac Classic II - Modem Port Not Working under MacBSD 1.3
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Stephen Rose <srose@yknet.yk.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/14/1998 11:08:28
Hi Bill,

This sounds alot like the problem I've sent to you, except my problem lies
with the
printer port (/dev/tty01).

>>> I seem to have trouble, however, every time I try to access /dev/tty01.
>>> The system will hang
>>> until I unplug the printer,  or turn the printer off.  Even the stty
>>> command triggers this.
>>
>>Add the "local" option to the line in /etc/ttys (see man ttys for more info).
>This problem stays the same with 'local' in ttys, as well as with the whole
>line commentted out of ttys.
>
>>Will the system, or just that process, hang? I'd suspect the latter.
>
> It seems that the whole system hangs, I can't get another telnet session
>open until the printer has been disconnected or turned off.
>

>> I have Run NetBSD 1.2 generic Kernel on my Mac Classic II for about six
>> weeks without any trouble.
>> I use(d) a terminal on the modem port as console and the printer port ran
>> 57.6k ppp to my NT Server for internet access.
>>
>> After a fresh installation of 1.3 binaries, the system would hang just
>> before accessing the console. After swapping the the console to "printer"
>> port, the system boots. However sending anything to or from /dev/tty00
>> (zstty0) just goes nowhere.
>>
>> The Modem Port seems unusable.
>> The /dev directory appears to be in order.
>> The booter config also seems OK
>> When running MacOS the modem port works perfectly for Modem/MIDI/LocalTalk
>> etc.
>
>I assume you're not hooking up a midi box when you're running the console on
>the modem port. ?? :-)
>
>> It seems that the new Generic Kernel is not addressing this port properly,
>> there is however, no errors during boot.
>>
>> Anyone experience similar problems with 1.3? Perhaps I should be looking at
>> the booter, not the OS?
>
>No. It's either in the hardware or in the driver. Do you have access to a
>serial break-out box?
>
>What are your serial port settings in the booter?

I just drove home and checked my settings, Appletalk is off on Chooser, and
Booter has the printer port set to 57600 and Raw.

Hope piece of info helps narrow things down :-)

Take care,

Steve Rose