Subject: Re: ae problems w/Farallon EtherMac
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Tom I Helbekkmo <tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/14/1998 18:09:56
On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> Gunnar Helliesen wrote:
> >
> > qe0: ring overrun, resync'd by skipping 13
> > qe0: ring overrun, resync'd by skipping 9
>
> Oh, it can certainly be machine independent.  On a busy Ethernet, a slow
> machine might not be able to handle all the packets coming in fast enough
> (which is what I believe is happening here).  I wouldn't have a hard time
> believing that a MicroVAX II is a slower machine :-)

I see these too (well, actually, I haven't lately, but at least I used
to see them quite a bit), and the really interesting thing is that
they happen with clockwork regularity _on a quiet network_.  If there
is much traffic, and the DEQNA is actually being used, they show up
less often.

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"