Subject: Off Topic: was X forwarding
To: NetBSD Mac <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jaohlma@BGNet.bgsu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/13/1998 20:39:42
On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Mark Andres wrote:

> First of all, to set the "standard" X terminology straight, an X *server*
> is the machine that drives the display. In your case, the Macintosh
> running MI/X is the X *server*. You can the run X *clients* from any
> machine that can connect to the X *server*.

How did this horrible reversal of vocabulary occur?  It seems predestined
to cause confusion in this present age of "client-server" architectures.
I think we need a popular decree "normalizing" the X nomenclature.  It's
like saying I own a 1995 Honda Highway and it drives me on the car.

:)

Jeff Ohlmann