Subject: Re: Apple 8*24 video card
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/13/1998 17:16:22
Since most of the accellerated cards I'm familiar with still work as a
"frame buffer" there shouldn't be any inherent reason why they can't
function either with the video LKM or with the SLOTMAN kernel.  In fact,
my video card is an accellerated E-Machines Futura-SX and it works just
fine under the SLOTMAN kernel.

Most of the accellerated functions on these cards seem to be implemented
by a MacOS system extension which patches the various QuickDraw traps in
MacOS ROMs.  Since we don't use QuickDraw anyway, and we don't have any
means of executing/loading these extensions, they shouldn't get in the
way.  Of course, the accelleration doesn't happen either.  :)

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > > Oh, and yes, I have a NUBUS video card (Apple 8*24), it should work with
> > > color in 8 bit mode, right?
> >
> > It "should" work.
>
> Depends. I think the 8*24 video cards had on-board accelerators. If so,
> then chances are slim that it'll work. If it's just a video frame buffer,
> then it should work.
>
> Take care,
>
> Bill

| Paul Goyette       | Public Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Consultant |  0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker  |  E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |