Subject: zip/sbc/panic(?)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dan McMahill <mcmahill@alum.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/13/1998 19:34:05
I am having zip drive problems again which I can't seem
to explain.

Yesterday, I used the stock 1.3 GENERICSBC kernel, mounted
my zip drive

mount /dev/sd2g /zip

put the NetBSD source on it, added Paul Goyettes SLOTMAN stuff
to it and made myself a slotman kernel with sbc instead of
ncrscsi (because ncrscsi did not work in the past with the zip).

Everything seemed fine, I could boot the new kernel and run fine.
The problem was with the zip.  In single user mode, I could
do stuff like
fsck /dev/sd2g
and
mount /dev/sd2g /zip
cd /zip
{do file operations successfully here}
cd /
umount /zip

and everything was fine.  BUT, if I go ahead and boot all the way
to multi user mode (I use xdm these days) and try
su
mount /dev/sd2g /zip
ls /zip

I get a kernel panic.  I tried to back up and use the GENERICSBC
kernel I used last night (I think its the same one) and I get the
same results (ok under single user, panic under multiuser with X).

The panic is:

panic:  pmap_alloc_pv: pgi_nfree inconsistent
stopped at _Debugger

db>t

  _Debugger
  _panic
  _pmap_alloc_pv
  _pmap_enter
  _vm_fault
  _trap
   faultstkadj

db>

My machine is a IIci, 20MB

I _know_ it worked last night with GENERICSBC because I put
all the source on the zip and complied in the zip.  I don't
believe I'm doing anything different today.

Anyone else see this problem?

Dan