Subject: Re: X forwarding
To: Amitai Schlair <amitai.schlair@usa.net>
From: Xiamin Raahauge <xiamin@scdesantis.ne.mediaone.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/13/1998 19:19:31
On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Amitai Schlair wrote:
> I was running X on the local display not a week ago... now my NetBSD box
> is headless, and I can't get X to display on another machine. When I set
> the DISPLAY environment variable to 10.0.2.16:0.0 (which is correct in
> my setup) and run startx, I get:
There was your fatel mistake. startx starts the local X server, which you
don't need since you're using MI/X. Just set the DISPLAY, have MI/X
running, and then try xterm or something. It should come up on MI/X.

> Fatal server error:
> Can't run X server with no screens!
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
>
> When I run 'xhost + 10.0.2.16:0.0', I get a bunch of
> "_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61" errors.
>
> I'm using MI/X for the display. I've set it up to accept connections
> from anywhere (for the time being, until I get this working), and I've
> set it to not use the local twm, since I want to try Afterstep... help!

There's a few problems with AS and MI/X. First off you need to mess around
with the fonts (I ended up just telling AS to only use fixed, and it even
looks sort of cool!). Then, the Wharf won't work right in MI/X for some
reason. It fires up all the things that get swallowed, and tries to launch
the Wharf, but it dies due to some error I haven't written down.
MI/X isn't the greatest Xserver in the world, but it gets the job done.
It's also the quickest/cheapest way to colour X at the moment!
-Xiamin