Subject: Re: X forwarding
To: Amitai Schlair <amitai.schlair@usa.net>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@ChrisBowman.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/13/1998 18:04:51
On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Amitai Schlair wrote:

>I was running X on the local display not a week ago... now my NetBSD box
>is headless, and I can't get X to display on another machine. When I set
>the DISPLAY environment variable to 10.0.2.16:0.0 (which is correct in
>my setup) and run startx, I get:

Why are you running startx?  startx starts a display server (if I remember
correctly) and you don't have a display so you don't need a display
server running on the unix box.

I think you just want to set the DISPLAY variable to your machine running
MI/X and then run you applications.

If you have to do a xhost + it needs to be done on the display server
(the MI/X machine) wich since it is what running mac os? will probably
be a menu dialog allowing you to set permissions.

>Fatal server error:
>Can't run X server with no screens!
>X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
>
>When I run 'xhost + 10.0.2.16:0.0', I get a bunch of
>"_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61" errors.
>
>I'm using MI/X for the display. I've set it up to accept connections
>from anywhere (for the time being, until I get this working), and I've
>set it to not use the local twm, since I want to try Afterstep... help!
>
>--
>I'm impressed with people from Chicago. Hollywood is hype, New York is
>talk, Chicago is work.
>     -- Michael Douglas

---------
Christopher R. Bowman