Subject: Re: X forwarding
To: Amitai Schlair <amitai.schlair@usa.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/13/1998 13:06:50
Amitai Schlair wrote:

> I was running X on the local display not a week ago... now my NetBSD box
> is headless, and I can't get X to display on another machine. When I set
> the DISPLAY environment variable to 10.0.2.16:0.0 (which is correct in
> my setup) and run startx, I get:
>
> Fatal server error:
> Can't run X server with no screens!
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

Noooo!  That's not what you want to do...I'm almost amazed it works with a
head on the machine...

Of course...take a look at the dmesg...if you boot without a monitor
attached, it probably won't configure grf devices.  A better question
would be:  why are you running startx on any machine other than your local
display?  The X _server_ is the local machine, the X _clients_ are on the
remote machine (yeah, X has it backwards from most things).

> When I run 'xhost + 10.0.2.16:0.0', I get a bunch of
> "_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61" errors.

That would imply that you were running an X server on the remote machine
and trying to allow X connections to it from your local
machine...basically, you've got the paradigm backwards (that's quite
alright, X has the paradigm backwards as well....so you just have to
adjust to how X does it).

> I'm using MI/X for the display. I've set it up to accept connections
> from anywhere (for the time being, until I get this working), and I've
> set it to not use the local twm, since I want to try Afterstep... help!

If you're using MI/X, that is your X server....you don't need to start
another one and point it to your local display.  All you need to do is on
your local machine, set up MI/X so that it allows access from the NetBSD
machine, then use whatever method you prefer to connect to the remote
machine with your display set to the local machine and start whatever X
_clients_ you want (like xterms, twm, etc...).

I think that MI/X has an option for doing an rexec or rsh to the remote
machine; you usually want to setup a shell script (like your .xinitrc)
that you can run from this remote command which will startup all the
clients you need.

I hope this makes some since.

Later.