Subject: Re: X forwarding
To: Amitai Schlair <amitai.schlair@usa.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/13/1998 11:58:07

> I was running X on the local display not a week ago... now my NetBSD box
> is headless, and I can't get X to display on another machine. When I set
> the DISPLAY environment variable to 10.0.2.16:0.0 (which is correct in
> my setup) and run startx, I get:
>
> Fatal server error:
> Can't run X server with no screens!
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

You should be running x on the machine with the screen (the X server,
since it provides windows a person can look at). On the headless
machine, you just want to run clients, pointed at the server.

> When I run 'xhost + 10.0.2.16:0.0', I get a bunch of
> "_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61" errors.

xhost is to add other computers to the access list of a running
X server. The xhost command you wrote doesn't make sense as (1) you
have to have access to add another computer to the list (you can't
just add yourself), and (2) it should be xhost + <address/name of
computer running xterms, etc>.

> I'm using MI/X for the display. I've set it up to accept connections
> from anywhere (for the time being, until I get this working), and I've
> set it to not use the local twm, since I want to try Afterstep... help!

If MI/X has no security turned on, forget the xhost stuff.

Just run Afterstep on the NetBSD box, with DISPLAY pointing at the box
running MI/X.

Take care,

Bill