Subject: Re: X forwarding
To: Amitai Schlair <amitai.schlair@usa.net>
From: Adrian Rollett <acrollet+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/13/1998 15:07:54
On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Amitai Schlair wrote:

> I was running X on the local display not a week ago... now my NetBSD box
> is headless, and I can't get X to display on another machine. When I set
> the DISPLAY environment variable to 10.0.2.16:0.0 (which is correct in
> my setup) and run startx, I get:
>
> Fatal server error:
> Can't run X server with no screens!
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
>
> When I run 'xhost + 10.0.2.16:0.0', I get a bunch of
> "_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 61" errors.
>
> I'm using MI/X for the display. I've set it up to accept connections
> from anywhere (for the time being, until I get this working), and I've
> set it to not use the local twm, since I want to try Afterstep... help!

Well, the first problem I see is a minor confusion - The DISPLAY
environment variable must be set to the IP number of the box actually
showing you the xterms, as in

localdisplayIPnumber:0 (or 0.0 )

the xhost command would be run from your BSD box if you wanted to run X
apps off of another computer, unless MI/X has a command line interface,
that is something you do not need to do - Your setting MI/X to accept any
connections would be like running the hypothetical command

xhost+anymachine.on.the.net

I hope this helps, I don't know if this'll solve your problem, but it
should clear up one or two things.

cheers,

-Adrian