Subject: Re: Colour X-windows on SE/30
To: Capt. Avram Dorfman <dorfman@pentagon.mil>
From: Kevin Ogden <kev@zebradale.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/13/1998 01:32:25

>> I've got NetBSD installed on my formerly retired SE/30, and it seems great,
>> except for the screen. After using my newer 17" AppleVision monitor, which
>> is connected to a PM7600, it's hard to go back to 580x370 (?) monochrome.

I know that feeling...

>> I have tried MkLinux on the PM7600: whilst it's a great UNIX-style
>> environment, for most of the mundane things I do, the MacOS is more handy.
>> With an X-terminal I could just connect to NetBSD on the SE/30 when the
>> mood or need strikes, without re-booting.

Really, I find NetBSD and Linux more useful than MacOS....sure you can't
run commercial software under NetBSD but there are many free equivelants of
most software....games are another story....Although the source to DOOM has
been released :)

>> Is it possible to use the PM7600 & screen as a colour X-terminal? (I think
>> there is a shareware X-terminal emulation package available from TNT) Can I
>> connect NetBSD on the SE/30 to  the X-terminal on the PM7600 with
>> AppleTalk? Or should I invest in an ethernet card for the SE/30?

TNT put out a free X-server for Winblows and MacOS called MIX, I used it as
an X-terminal to my CI with much success, it was kinda unstable in 24-bit
color but that might have been due to my weird video card.  MIX is adequate
but there are commercial ones that are better but not by much.

	Good luck,
		Kevin